To become an Emergency Medical Technician, applicants will need to apply to a college that is approved in Delaware.
Every school has its own set of requirements, however, there are some general requirements for all colleges:
- EMT students in DE must be at least 18 years old.
- Have proof of a high school diploma or GED.
- Must hold an official driver’s license.
- Some students might be asked to provide test scores, tests that assess their Math, English and Reading skills.
- Requires a current Healthcare Provider CPR certification.
- Students must update their vaccinations including Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Tuberculosis and other required vaccinations.
- Students must undergo a drug test and a criminal background check.
EMT Certification Requirements.
- Once you have completed your EMT- Basic program, you can sit for the NREMT examination to achieve a national certificate.
- National EMT certification requires students to successfully complete both a cognitive and practical skills test.
- National Registry EMT Basic practical exam is a state approved exam and will be given by recognized EMT training programs.
- Once you become a nationally registered EMT, you can then apply for your state of Certification from the state of Delaware.
- Certification lasts for 2 years, for re certification you will require a 24 hour EMT Basic refresher course.
Becoming an EMT in Delaware.
- EMT students must keep in mind that taking up an EMT course isn’t about the money. It is all about the willingness to risk your life and assist others by saving their life. Registering to become an EMT, in other words, is like registering to be a life saver or a hero. So go for it, it is a dangerous career without a doubt but, it will affect people’s lives positively and people will look up to you!
Schools and Programs.
Delaware Technical and Community College, Terry – Dover, DE
Delaware Technical Community College is a public school and it is the only community college in Delaware. This college offers an Associate’s Degree program in Paramedics. The Paramedic provide advanced pre-hospital emergency care to severely ill or injured patients and transports patients mostly by ambulance or other appropriate emergency vehicles which are medically equipped. The Paramedic programs aims to prepare you to assess and manage patients with medical emergencies, lead the medical emergency staff and arrange to transport the patient to a nearby hospital once the situation has been stabilized.
Once you have successfully completed this program, you will be eligible to sit for the national registry of emergency medical technicians exam.
This program is available at the Dover campus.
Delaware State Fire School.
This school offers Emergency Medical Technician course, Emergency Medical Technician Refresher (Hybrid), Emergency Medical Technician Refresher for NREMT and Delaware Emergency Medical Technician Reciprocity. The Emergency Medical Technician Course covers theory and skills training and on successful completion, students can sit for the NREMT exam. In order to achieve the certificate, students are required to produce specific paperwork. Skills taught include; assessing, stabilizing and monitoring patients before taking them to a hospital. Requires students to have internet access in order to complete online quizzes and homework. Successful completion of the course is due to passing of the NREMT practical and written examination.
The Emergency Medical Technician Refresher Course is a program for students to update their EMT knowledge.
- Delaware State Fire School – New Castle, DE
EMT Training Online.
Online training is a learning method designed to enable students to work at their own pace and flexibility. It is a great help for students who are working or parenting during the week. In online training, only the information part is taught online but, the practical, hands-on experience part has to be taught in person by an instructor. The online training system is of great benefit as students are able to complete classroom assignments in their comfortable home environment using their personal computer, however, it may also be a disadvantage because in case a student has a question or a concern, he/she may not receive an immediate response.
The Application Process:
You can apply for the online training program in four simple steps;
- First, you’ll need to complete the online application form.
- Next, hand in a scanned copy of your government issued photo ID / a national identity such as a driver’s license.
- Then, you will need to provide proof of your high school graduation or GED.
- Lastly, you will need to make the tuition payment before you can begin classes.
How does it work?
There are 3 parts of the online training. There’s a didactic/informative portion, the hands-on skills portion and clinical rotations.
The didactic portion: Gives students 6 months from the time they begin to complete all aspects of this course. It is the theory part and students are required to complete 140 hours of didactic portion online.
The hands-on skill days: There are usually 2 days out of the six months used for skills practice and at least one day for the National Registry Skills Testing. These dates are usually given in advance in order to accommodate all students’ schedules.
Clinical Rotations: These are provided by several major hospitals across the state of Delaware and throughout the United States. Students will complete 48 hours of EMS with at least 6 emergency patient transports and 24 hours of Emergency Department time.
Delaware Technical Community College is known to have amazing instructors who are always ready to assist students in any way they can. The courses also offer great job opportunities for students to be able to gain experience and familiarity with their chosen career. Students also enjoy using the gym as it is totally free and the campus location is close to various places to eat, shop and other activities.
Delaware State Fire School. This school is known to be “easy to find” and also has a great security system ensuring that students and staff are always safe especially since the students are just teenagers or younger sometimes and parents are always worried about their children’s safety. This school will ensure great safety and security making parents also comfortable about sending their children.
Tuition and Fees.
| Delaware Technical |
|$4,904 (in-state) $11,632 (out-of-state)|
|Delaware State Fire School||$900|
How do I recertify for my DE state EMT certification?
Submit re-certification form with a copy of your 24 hour Refresher and HCP CPR card.
You MUST be affiliated with an Ambulance or Fire Company in the state of DE.
How often does the Delaware State Fire School conduct Fire Officer Certification exams?
Twice a year in the month of June and December.
How do I get credit for continuing education in Delaware?
The agency has to have the program approved through the Delaware Office of EMS.